Rat-Stabbin’ Heels

My friend Leslie used to have stilettos she called her “rat-stabbin’ heels.”  The phrase stuck with me after 30 years!  This is fiction about some very good times in some very bad places, making terrible choices, and Riley if you are reading this, don’t listen to a word of it, because NONE of it is true.  But just in case it’s true and I don’t remember, I’m tagging under “Amy: The Lost Years”! For the new blog, dverse, as well as Poets United, both of which you MUST check out.   Amy

Rat-Stabbin’ Heels

Slip, trip, get a grip
Wait – fate, caught on the grate
in my rat-stabbing heels

Pub, club, feel the rub
Dance, prance, get some romance
in my rat-stabbin’ heels

Girls, pearls, out for whirls
Grind, blind, unrefined
in my rat-stabbin’ heels

Stairs, chairs, got no cares
Blues, booze, I’m the news
in my rat-stabbin’ heels

My fly: Martini, dry
Noise, boys, they’re my toys
in my rat-stabbin’ heels

(Next day, hell to pay
‘Scara ruined, all raccooned
Wha’happened to my heels?)

© 2011 Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil

1. madeleine sara
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 06:42:15

Love the poem. It’s full of humour. :O)

2. Aaron Smigielski
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 06:50:53

I absolutely love the way you rhymed in this poem. It’s just so bouncy and fun like wearing heals in a club(I’m sure that’s so fun.) Very excellent poem!

3. vivinfrance
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 07:18:09

Sounds like someone knew how to be young ‘n having fun.

Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:12:08

You SAY it isn’t true, but I’ve been to New Orleans, pre-Katrina, and I saw the rats and the stilettos…

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 05:37:40

Hey, the rats in the NYC subway actually have Social Security numbers!! But the Third Rail prevents women from effectively dealing with them…!

Also, thought you should know… I was on Wheel of Fortune (saw your Jeop reference). I won exactly zero dollars! Amy

5. Daydreamertoo
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 11:23:27

LOL A girl is allowed to have fun too~!

If I had seen there was a time limit on thier link at dVerse I would posted earlier but, I’d gone theree a couple of times earlier in the day and it was still open, once I got my post ready, went there to link it and it was closed. *rolls eyes*
    We’ll both know better next time. LOL

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 05:48:14

May have posted this before (it’s a bit late where I am), but as far as posting things within a certain time frame, I have a mind like a steel sieve, so the jury is out on whether I’ll have it together to try again next time!! Thanks, DD. Peace, Amy

Jul 26, 2011 @ 12:05:23

haha lots of energy in this one…and i hear on the paying on the next day…smiles.

OpenLinkNight at dVerse opens at 3 pm EST today….

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 06:00:06

BRIAN! Damn, I missed another dverse! Too far behind. We are helping the kids at church put on a junior version of Godspell, and that ministry is front and center. The kids are doing great, but my poetry, she suffers so… (beating of breast, slobbering and tears)… Thanks for the nice words on the poem! A

7. Life: Between the lines
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 12:48:07

I dig the rhymes, nicely done, hilarious introduction :)
    thanks for the visit

8. Mike Patrick
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 13:51:24

Amy, if this is (fiction) from long ago, why does it feel like the rave scene today? You had some fun with it. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen so many rhymes in a single poem. At that, you managed to take us through the rather bumpy steps of a girl’s night out. I really liked it. Just glad I’m a guy and never had to wear any rat-stabbin’ heels.

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 06:02:11

Hey, baby, I’ve known PLENTY of guys who wore rat-stabbin’ heels… oh, wait, that’s Vicky Vogue and Gladys Over and all my other drag queen beauties from Buffalo, NYC, and places beyond!

And I’ve never been to a rave, so you just educated me. One thing this proves: Nothing ever really changes except the drugs. Glad you came along for the ride, Mike! Amy

9. Mama Zen
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 15:37:44

Lord, don’t this ring true and familiar!

10. liv2write2day
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 16:07:55

Love it, Amy. Fun and the rhythm is great.

11. christine
    Jul 26, 2011 @ 23:11:37

Nice one, I can only really relate to the grate gabbing the heal thing, but that was so long ago. I wear sensible shoes now. PS-thanks for your comments back at my place.

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 20:30:43

Christine, love trading blog comments with you. I never wear heels anymore either. Too many years prancing in front of bands and slinking from behind pianos ruined my feet and my back! But here in Madison, even the pastor’s wife can wear tan sneaks with pink shoelaces!! See you soon, hon, and peace, Amy

12. Laurie Kolp
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 01:11:18

Amy- Love the rhythm… this would be a great song. I had some days like that way back when. = )

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 20:32:15

“Those were the days, my friend/Thank God they had to end” ha ha ha I would not have survived if I’d kept up that stuff. Wouldn’t ended up like Mom – at 54, a cig in one hand, a jigger of Gordon’s in the other. But it’s fun to look back on, right?! Amy

13. Lori McClure
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 01:59:39

Enjoyed this playful romp of you and your rat-stabbin’ heels :)

14. leiffyv
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 02:24:44

Now this is amusing and I have in NO WAY seen this before in my area. Nope. I am as sweet and innocent as the wind driven whatever it is! Great piece! Makes me wish I was there to see them rat-stabbin’ heels.

Here’s a new one I posted but yet to associate with any feed yet. Enjoy!

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 20:39:48

Mae West used to say, “I used to be Snow White… but I drifted!” ha ha

And yes, I have no doubt you are the sweetest, most innocent poet since Bukowski! Thanks for the preview, I’m truly honored! Amy

15. Kavita
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 03:36:39

This one CERTAINLY brought a huge grin on my face, girl! Reminded me of some fun times, which I otherwise prefer not to remember … heheh… you get my point, dontcha? ;-)

A plum, rum then a drum
    Car, bar, off to a guitar
    In my rat-stabbin’ heels :)

oh.. they hurt!! GOD they hurt! :D

And here, I must tell you how much I appreciate your comments on my latest poem, sweetie.. you are such a darling… that poem was part fiction, part real… the reality in it has something to do with me being annoyed at the fact that my muses are vacationing and are refusing to come back to me…. grrr… but other than that, I am PERFECTLY FINE! No need to worry :)

Love you loads!!!
    -Kavita

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 20:43:17

Kavita, dear, hope all four wheels are on the Muse Trolley soon, merrily rolling toward your next work. I’ve had times like that, for sure.

Glad you liked this little remembrance, and yes, damn, they DID hurt!! But think about how they felt for me in the 80s, jumping up and down in front of a wedding band singing Madonna songs… ugh! Like A Virgin, my everlovin’ ass!! LOL Love you too! Amy

16. pearl ketover prilik
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 04:23:12

Terrific poem…great rhythm ….images…captures a slice of life that goes down easy and delicious !

17. Traci B
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 11:24:05

Fun poem, Amy! Thanks for leaving the link in your comment at my Blink post. Although I have never owned a pair of rat-stabbin’ heels, I did visit a club or two in my younger days, and I observed quite a few young women who would have fit the profile of this one. I like your use of internal rhymes and the rhythm they create. Well done. :)

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 20:47:24

Thanks, Traci, especially for the “form” comments, as I do sometimes sneak internal rhyme into my free verse, but this was a form of sorts. Kind of a free-wheeling form, but nonetheless…

You’re lucky you skipped the heels. My back hurts just thinking about them!! Thanks again, Amy

18. wolfsrosebud
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 14:21:42

Such honesty. It’s hard writing about the past., but its what we are now that counts. Nice rhythm to your piece.

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 28, 2011 @ 20:57:50

Welcome to my world, Rosebud, and thank you. My poetry is all over the place, but this look back made me smile and wince at the same time. I’m coming your way now to check out your work! Peace, Amy

19. Pearl Ketover Prilik
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 17:32:54

Hi again… Left a comment on this poem last night… mhmmm must have danced away in the night :)
    Terrific poem…great rhythm and holding slice of life deliciously out to be eaten!

20. Renee Espriu
    Jul 28, 2011 @ 03:02:59

Hilarious but true, Amy. I could not even imagine walking in them much less keeping upright. Use to be a little tiny lady that wore them to work every day when I worked downtown and I swear it added five inches to her height.

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Jul 29, 2011 @ 04:06:00

They add height, but they greatly decrease you options for running away from danger. I think a sadist invented them… and his minions keep on coming! I’m a sneakers girl now, and thank God for them!! Thanks, Renee. Peace, Amy

21. dani
    Jul 31, 2011 @ 02:59:20

love the rhythm of this and those “rat-stabbin’ heels”