New York Doll

New York Doll

There was a time in her prime
when she’d mime drink orders
to cordial bartenders who always
tended to her needs. Never one
for thinking while drinking.

She’d haul a Hal to the juke
and dance dance dance

A chance to prance from
Latin to limbo to limo to
blow snow, no dough, only
her willingness to be ill-used
(not abused in the classic sense;
her men’s tastes not leaning toward
the waste of a pretty face)

The pace of the chase
was hasty and tiring, and so,
rewiring back at the flat, we
would recount the bounty
that shines brightest at 2 am
The night, our flight, our fight
to be noticed in an
anonymous
bottomless pit
of a city

This is why having a roommate in the larger cities is important. Who else will listen to your triumphs and tragedies ‘til dawn? This one will be at Imaginary Garden With Real Toads on Monday and dverse Poetry Pub’s Open Mic on Tuesday. I’ll add the links in the next two days so you can click and read some soulful stuff from a vast array of poets. Peace, Amy

1. Polly
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 03:01:30

I think the internal rhymes here are amazing, Amy – good stuff – I was in NY NY with you ;)

Feb 24, 2014 @ 04:24:49

Wow! Some chick….

Feb 24, 2014 @ 06:55:45

to be noticed in an anonymous pit….that is the crux isnt it…
    really a great write amy…i like the honesty….the internal rhyme just makes this sing….

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Feb 27, 2014 @ 01:49:58

Brian, thanks so much. And yes, it’s all about being noticed, no matter whether it’s show business or teaching or waiting tables. No one moves to NYC to NOT be noticed, except of course witness protection programmers…! Amy

4. kimnelsonwrites
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 08:28:41

Talent. Shines through every internally rhymed line in this poem that tells a very real tale. So good, Amy. So good.

5. El Guapo
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:28:00

Your pacing has the frantic feel of a Thursday night clubbing in Manhattan

Is it bad I smiled through most of this?

Feb 24, 2014 @ 12:04:03

You paint her clearly. I relate to “the willingness to be ill-used” in one’s younger years. Thankfully, this completely changes with time!

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Feb 27, 2014 @ 02:18:19

You picked up on the part I found hardest to write, but felt at the pit of my stomach. It was like that for so many women in my youth, as well as some gay men friends. The sunglasses in the morning, ugh. Thanks, hon. Amy

7. Sarav
    Feb 24, 2014 @ 16:27:18

Amy, you are a brilliant spinner of verse and stories, put just the right seasoning of frantic into this too :-) Excellent!

Feb 25, 2014 @ 07:53:04

Being in a big city one is inclined to be on one’s own. One is lonely despite the bigger number of people around. A room-mate is essential to maintain semblance of relationship.with others. Very true Amelita!

• Sharp Little Pencil
      Feb 27, 2014 @ 02:26:59

I always had roommates, or roommates had me! Funny, I feel my best for writing when I’m alone in a crowd, but at home, yes, company always. Thanks, Hank, and make sure you check out Guapo’s fundraising mention for his friend… Amelita

9. ihatepoetry
    Feb 25, 2014 @ 11:24:59

Excellent, babe. I loved that line about the bounty that shines brightest at 2am. Exquisite. Thought this was about my favorite rock and roll band, though. Love, Mosk

see link

10. leesis
    Feb 27, 2014 @ 05:29:33

I was singing it in my head as I read it without realising :). Not just New York…I recognised woman I’ve known. What I love about your poetry Amy as usual is you do some magical mix that takes me emotionally ‘there’. I smiled but also felt grief for her. Geez I love your writing!

11. Sarav
    Feb 27, 2014 @ 16:05:20

Amy, thank you so much for your comment on my poem “When Three’s Not the Charm.” You made my day. I was telling my husband that you totally “get” me. That means so much–had my hand over my heart just thinking of you :-) Hugs!

12. purplepeninportland
    Mar 01, 2014 @ 17:30:31

This ROCKS!

13. Lindy Lee
    Mar 02, 2014 @ 07:54:04

Rhyming within is a tricky ability not granted to many. As for New York, I remain a fan of that fantastic place…

14. Bodhirose
    Mar 02, 2014 @ 11:50:25

I like that this doll stayed just on the edge of not falling all the way over it! Hauling a Hal…snow blow, no dough…ill used but not abused…great piece, Amy.

15. wkkortas
    Mar 05, 2014 @ 11:49:49

The word play is clever and Elvis Costello-esque, and the pace is dance-beat perfect. This is really fine stuff.