“…to get a drink?” (Rollie, Part II)

“…to get a drink?!”
Connie Lee Francis
Rollie was funny as hell but
in those days, ‘queer’ jokes were
all the rage (except around me)
But Rol never made fun of local queens
or butch girls who beat the pavement
in biker boots back in Bingo

Walking Manhattan with Rollie and Jo
and tomorrow morning’s groom
(later, my ex-husband)
All my fave boys were there
We took my family for
a walk on the sparkly side

Drag show, which bar?
We walked in to claim our
Night Before Wedding toast
(most men have bachelor parties;
I’ll give my ex credit for that)
Drag star, Connie Lee Francis

Finished “Where the Boys Are”
Stood at bar, waving glove at
bartender, then a flirty falsetto,
“What does a girl have to do…”
Thirsty girl, she dropped to baritone
“BOURBON ON THE ROCKS!”

We didn’t have a proper laugh
until later – the whole thing
The setting, the show
Her range of voice; she had
no choice. Like I said…
Thirsty girl

The second of three consecutive poem/stories about my late brother-in-law, Rollie Newton.

Matt and Casey, this one’s for you. Bet you didn’t know your dad rolled this cool. Love you guys.  I will link this up with an Open Post this week as well.  Peace, Amy

Jun 23, 2014 @ 06:47:23

ha. well that sounds like a trip….smiles…my upbringing was much more conservative…it was not until college that i really was exposed to other lifestyles…ha…one day i will tell that story, i made some great friends though…

Jun 23, 2014 @ 07:48:52

Great happenings you went through Amelita! Must have been lots of fun. But it is more fun recollecting the many episodes. And they all seem like yesterday, most times!

3. jae rose
    Jun 23, 2014 @ 09:26:07

You have the knack for turning a personal memory into something we can relate to even if we haven’t been there or experienced it for ourselves…I can’t imagine how much it means to those who were there with you – lots I should think! Thank you for the email and very proud on your behalf xo

4. bridge2vision
    Jun 23, 2014 @ 10:07:28

It SO about the stories we invented, collaborated on, and LIVED that flood our being with joy ‘n learnin’ n’ all the range of emotion we humans living to channel. Whether you be markin’ a person’s time here or simply sharin’ those stories, in some form all short, tight, and meaning-full-heart-stirrin’ – that’s one powerful creation wallop you’re packin’.

Jun 23, 2014 @ 10:15:34

I learn so much of my hometown from you!

Jun 23, 2014 @ 11:52:21

I. Totally. Love. This. Poem. Also love “bet you didnt know your dad rolled this cool.” Smiling. Amy, you are a Total Trip!

Jun 24, 2014 @ 00:19:03

ha! night before my wedding my brother and future in laws and some friends rolled me to the typical places (you know.) one friend was gay. when asked by my future (and now past) bro-in-law what he thought of the ladies, Tim replied that since he was gay, it didn’t do much. Dean proceeded to drink himself silly, to the point he was barely able to read the 2nd reading during the ceremony. :) ~

8. vandana
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 02:35:52

Hope you enjoyed:)

9. Sara v
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 16:40:36

So much love and fun in this, thank you for sharing these memories– xoxo I’m sorry he has passed on.

10. โกดังให้เช่า
    Jun 26, 2014 @ 06:27:27

The residential properties in Ahmedabad are high
    in demand as the increasing migrating population is congregating into the city for jobs.
    Non-Controllable Cost — Costs that can be affected by other factors that cannot be directed to take a
    course in accordance with management’s supervisory functions.
    During this period, several companies from different industries transition to the material handling industry.

11. Sabra Bowers
    Jun 28, 2014 @ 16:07:41

Great tribute poem. He did roll cool.

12. Pamela
    Jun 28, 2014 @ 17:46:48

Sounds like superb fun, Amelita. Thanks for the reminder of my drag show days. I always had a blast at them.

Pamelita ox

13. Top Eleven Hack iOS
    Jun 29, 2014 @ 01:56:14

Talk with neighbors who may be able to pick up food or prescriptions while
    they run their errands. We also see some tears and high praise for some of the best dancers in the competition. There will be times when you
    look over your shoulder, wistful for the days of being his better half.

14. ihatepoetry
    Jul 01, 2014 @ 10:25:07

Exquisite. A lovely tribute.