Thunderstruck

streaks; thunder strikes
from clouds’ loud clash

In love with customary
pelt of hail I walk
To stop me is to defy
another force of nature

Image courtesy of Scotto Bear (free media use) at Wikimedia Commons, License detail HERE.

For Imaginary Garden With Real Toads, Michael (AKA Grapeling) gave us a list of words. To see that list, along with links to myriad original contributors, please click HERE.

City or country, I have always been fascinated with the random, dangerous, glorious free fireworks of thunderstorms. I know it’s probably stupid to walk down the street in one, but I figure with my various brain spasms, a little lightning wouldn’t hurt. In fact, it might help! Peace, Amy

1. Karen S.
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 15:40:59

What a sense of depth, vivid beyond the sound of thunder’s roar…. excellent. I like that video as well, even if it completely reminds me of my mother’s side of the family.

Jul 10, 2014 @ 15:57:14

i love to stand in an awesome storm…not sure i want to go walking in hail though…ha…that might hurt just a bit….

3. Leslie Sahlen Mexmo San Carlos
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 16:10:18

Hola Amers!

I don’t have your current email. Been in touch with DJ! He’d love to reconnect with you too. FYI, he went into Christian music.

LOVE YOU!!!!

Leslie Sahlen Coconut Country – Mariachi Fusion – MexiBlues http://www.mexmosancarlos.com http://www.gatorlegs.com http://www.youtube.com/tomatah1

4. redgladiola
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 16:34:02

How unusual to find beauty in hail. I love it!

5. Grace
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 16:45:07

Too dangerous to go out ~ I love this part as it shows the dark beauty of the thunderstorm ~

Firmament’s daring exchange
    First chains of switchblade
    streaks; thunder strikes
    from clouds’ loud clash

6. whimsygizmo
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 16:53:26

Love this. You are a force of nature, indeed, my friend. I’m particularly enamored of the internal rhyme in:
    “freshbursting scent” and “firmament.”

7. magalyguerrero
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 20:06:24

I adore thunderstorms. When the sky cracks and flashes, I usually walk out to the terrace and enjoy at nature’s fireworks.

Now, I will always think of “chains of switchblade” when I see lightning…

• sharplittlepencil
      Jul 12, 2014 @ 22:47:04

ALWAYS? Aw, that is sweet! I am loving our back and forth at our blogs, and I love your work, Magaly. Hope others latch onto this comment and get over to see your artistic endeavors! Amy

8. El Guapo
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 20:59:16

Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;)

9. Polly
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 21:01:59

Those final two lines are stunning, Amy.

10. ManicDdaily
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 21:41:40

Very cool poem, Amy–and I too especially love the close though the first parts are vivid enough! But I have this image of a you striding along quite fearlessly, making your own thunder. Thanks! And thanks for your kind comment on my poem. K.

11. Jim
    Jul 10, 2014 @ 23:08:37

:) Hi Amy ~~ Did you ever run in the rain? I can see the runner in the rain, on a runners high and thinking she/ he is like a deer, waiting while running for the next crash of lightening. I remember some of those runs sooo vividly. I loved it, the cool rain felt so good!

• sharplittlepencil
      Jul 12, 2014 @ 22:56:51

Hey, Jim! No, I never run in the rain. My balance is awful. But I do dance, sing, and hop around in the rain… and then my husband walks away and pretends he doesn’t know me, ha ha ha. I’m coming over to see you now, thanks! Amy

Jul 11, 2014 @ 00:34:01

loving that final couplet, Amy. a refreshing pen – and thank you for joining your voice to the prompt ~

Jul 11, 2014 @ 01:41:45

I love the images you have used in this poem. So long as you are smaller and lower than your surroundings, you should be safe from lightning strike. I love WATCHING storms, too, but wouldn’t like to be hailed on!

14. J Cosmo Newbery
    Jul 11, 2014 @ 03:00:45

“To stop me is to defy another force of nature” – walker with attitude!

15. Kerry O'Connor
    Jul 11, 2014 @ 03:06:18

I love poetry that figures out man/woman’s place in the environment. I especially like the way you used the word ‘chains’ here. Very effective writing.

Jul 11, 2014 @ 04:02:08

Hey I used that AC/DC cover in my blog last week, El Guapo! we had serious lightning a few days ago, so bright that it kept The Daughter awake – again, it wasn’t the thunder, it was the lightning that you can see with your eyes closed. A couple evenings later, big time hail, which I don’t recall ever for so long in the city.

Jul 11, 2014 @ 10:40:41

My grandma took such great pleasure in thunderstorms. I remember sitting in her back porch enjoying them with her – and the smell of the earth as the first raindrops fell on it, after. Glorious. Thanks for taking me back!

18. hedgewitch
    Jul 11, 2014 @ 13:02:38

Great to see you writing like this again, Amy. You make the storm break over our heads–love the ‘switchblade streaks’ and the defiant head held high.

19. Helen
    Jul 11, 2014 @ 18:29:31

OH YES to every word, Last two lines, priceless!!

Jul 12, 2014 @ 02:36:14

In love with customary
    pelt of hail I walk
    To stop me is to defy
    another force of nature

Strangely one may often go against the trend just so one cries out to stamp a point. Sometimes it may be rash but as long as it is not material or illegal then it is worth the try. It may just turn out to be for the better. Bravely stated Amelita!

21. Carver
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 16:45:21

Fantastic sky and I like the poem too.

22. jt30799
    Jul 14, 2014 @ 08:43:59

Beautiful picture, the danger of the thunder and the orange warmth of the sun is a heavenly combination.

23. www.cozenspointe.com
    Aug 27, 2014 @ 20:33:40

Hi to every , for the reason that I am genuinely keen of
    reading this blog’s post to be updated daily. It includes nice material.