BOYCOTT Monsanto (and RoundUp) POST #800!

BOYCOTT Monsanto (especially RoundUp)

Honeybees have my heart

Don’t buy Monsanto!
They spray craven
substances that can
blow like snow over
fences into defenseless
organic farms.

You like life on this planet?
You can’t do it without bees.
You CAN do it without Monsanto.

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, freely shared by photographer. View original and license HERE.

For a song by my late friend Marques Bovre about Dandelions, click the player. Hope it works!

I didn’t know until recently that the lovely yellows popping up so early in spring are also practically the only source of bits of pollen for the honeybee, helping it to survive until the pollen-rich flowers bloom. That goes for bees cultivated by keepers as well as wild honeybees.

Without honeybees, OUR species would all be gone within weeks. THAT is how crucial bees are to our environment. So even if you like green, green grass, hold off cutting the lawn until the first dandelions wilt. And never EVER use anything from Monsanto. The chemical glyphosol, main component in RoundUp, has been found in breast milk!

Let the dandelions’ freak flags fly!  Thanks to Poets United for the prompt, BOYCOTT.  Man, they have my number, huh?  Amy

Jul 31, 2014 @ 00:21:39

You never said a truer word. This is an important poem on a subject dear to my heart.

Jul 31, 2014 @ 03:13:41

Awesome write, Amer……we all need to be doing all we can to help the honeybees. And yes, we can do without Monsanto!

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 15:39:53

Monsanto spend millions in OREGON, birthplace of organic gardening, and pushed through the “Protect Monsanto Act” after they couldn’t get it passed in Congress nationally. Oregon caved, it must have been all the dark money. Crap!!! Love, Amer

3. J Cosmo Newbery
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 04:06:24

Spot on, Amy.

4. J Cosmo Newbery
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 04:06:51

PS: Well done on 800 posts!

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 15:41:26

Thanks, and thanks again! I didn’t even notice until the blog notified me – so I had to do a quick edit and get that title line adjusted! Feels good, even though half the early stuff (including my beginnings on Blogspot) feel a bit odd,looking at them now. Like seeing your haircut in your high school yearbook…! wink. Amy

Jul 31, 2014 @ 05:54:21

ah i love dandelions…they are my fav flower…i was just talking to my neighbor about the bees…there is a nest i have left at the end of my grape arbor…had to tell her to watch for them when she was harvest some to make jam…i did not want her to get stung…but i leave them there — and i had a huge grape crop….

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 15:48:02

Another dandelion lover, great! See how it goes if you can force some dandelions to grow under the hive, and let me know if it helps your little colony of hard workers. Ah, an arbor. My mom used to put up grape jelly. Hers was GROSS, quite sloppy, with bits of wax throughout… but we ate it gladly! THanks, Amy

6. Jae Rose
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 06:19:58

This has the lull and buzz of a jazz song – but then it was written by a jazz singer xo Big up the honey bees and dandelions

7. Sue B Z
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 07:06:42

Want to hear this in song, Amy!

8. Susan
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 07:07:03

Love! You woo us with bees and dandelions before popping the message which comes across powerfully because of its setting in this poem. I like the song too, a lot. Wow. Boycott Monsanto!

More please. I’d like a full set of these folk songs with guitar ….

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 16:03:22

I’ll email you a link to Marques’ site. He was a great man. Also a link to the poem I wrote when he died. We sing his music, including this one, every Sunday in praise band! A

9. Sumana Roy
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 08:42:44

alliteration makes it all the more powerful…let the bees buzz and let the dandelions bloom…and no Monsanto..

10. moondustwriter
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 11:34:23

Havent used chemicals for years. It’s also bad for the dogs and humans.

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 16:25:16

I’m with you. I use a lot of baking soda, white vinegar, and lavender oil around the house, plus always on the lookout for cruelty-free products. I don’t wear makeup, so that’s no worry… yeah, 58 and no makeup? Brave or foolish? Amy

11. Torie
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 12:15:59

You’re right on with your message, Amy! We can do it without Monsanto and I really wish we all did already! I’m with you :)

12. arushiahuja
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 13:04:09

ah! the ills of genetically modified plants and vegetables are not yet known to many people… a very good boycott here amy!

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 16:43:32

It’s astounding how few Americans thought twice about Monsanto’s abuses abroad and only started complaining when the chickens came HOME to roost. I’ve been talking the environmental stuff for years and was roundly “pooh-poohed” by my entire family. That includes global climate change… Thanks, Arushia! Amy

Jul 31, 2014 @ 13:36:01

agree completely. but a note – this TED talk discusses global food waste. sometimes I fear the focus on production (GMO, pesticides, herbicides, in general, stupid-cides IMO) obscures an even greater travesty – that food production and distribution is closely controlled however it’s produced, and that malnourishment is social engineering on a grand scale. http://www.ted.com/talks/tristram_stuart_the_global_food_waste_scandal

• sharplittlepencil
      Aug 01, 2014 @ 16:53:49

M, I have saved the link for reading later, but this has always been my contention: There has always been and will always be enough food for all. We have a distribution problem, and it resides in the dirty underbelly of politics.

You always make me think, Michael. I appreciate that, and I’ll pass the link along to my fellow activists as well. Peace, Amy

14. ashrajprajesh
    Aug 01, 2014 @ 05:29:57

Beautiful and meaningful poem.

Aug 01, 2014 @ 07:16:14

The bees are dying and we’re pretty much toast, even if we don’t know it yet. (I’m SUCH the optimist…)

Aug 01, 2014 @ 15:53:23

Hooray for dandies. :-)

17. Sabra Bowers
    Aug 08, 2014 @ 06:39:41

I’m in the choir with you! About 20 years ago, I let my lawn go natural. Thank goodness I live in a neighborhood that allows for natural lawns. I don’t fertilize or plant turf. I consider the dandelion a beautiful, magical flower. So glad I read your poem today. Thanks for writing it. I hope someone is collecting bees (or something) because I’m afraid it may be too late for them. Madness!!